Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Naked ambition

Ever notice that kids rarely just walk? If they get an idea or want something, they don't sit and contemplate, they run for it. When they wake up, they must get out of bed ASAP because there are so many things to do and so little time. It's as if they treasure every moment and delaying is not an option. There are times when this drives me nuts (Mommy, I want this, I want this, I want this, NOW!!!!), but mostly I envy that. I am sure I was the same when their age, but somewhere down the line I lost this ability to "Just do it!"

Take today, for example. Even though I knew that getting out of bed just 10-15 minutes earlier would save me lots and lots of frustration later, I still delayed getting up until almost literally dragged out of bed by hubby. (Yes, I am tired, but isn't everyone?) As I got the kids' clothes and finally left the bedroom, I was met by my laughing kidlets, sitting on the couch stark naked and playfully tagging at DD's blanket while waiting for me to bring their stuff. (Let me emphasize that this does NOT, I repeat does NOT usually happen and our kids do NOT routinely parade naked around the house. So hold off on calling children's services, ok?)

At the same time their father walked in and mentioned that someone spilled a bit of water on the floor, which needed to be mopped by the wrongdoers, but right after they put on their underwear. Of course the underwear part was ignored immediately, and they both ran for our new mop.


(Our new mop)


After a brief argument about who is going to hold the mop, they compromised and both ended up holding it and wiping the floor as a team (I was duly impressed with this newly developed diplomacy despite the fog in my under-caffeinated brain.) I got to tell you, this was the cutest thing: two kiddies in their birthday suits mopping the floor and giggling all the while.


Of course this nudist mopping party couldn't last because they had to get dressed for a million of reasons. And I found myself jealous. Goodness, if it were me, I would sit there for some time contemplating when, how or whether to mop at all. And they just got up and did it. Why couldn't I approach at least some of the tasks on my ever-growing to do list just like them? Well, not necessarily while naked, but quickly, efficiently and with a giggle?

5 comments:

  1. Maybe you should try the naked thing. It'll give you a whole new spin on life. Maybe mopping will seem more fun then (mind, I don't speak from experience).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, something tells me that if I do that, I will never get anything done...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I would have loved to see that scene; I hope you took pictures

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I would have loved to see that scene; I hope you took pictures

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately, no :( SubHub has strict policy re: taking naked pictures. Even if I weren't to adhere to that strict policy - which I never do ;) - our camera's battery died and was not recharged that morning :( And I know this only because ..uhm..uhm... I didn't try taking those pictures, oh no ;)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave your sub-comment!